Preparatory Event for
IPB World Congress 2016 on Military and Social Spending
Military costs versus humanitarian needs(Geneva)
A seminar on the Global Day of Action on Military Spending (GDAMS)
From 14.00 until 17.30
At Salle II + III, Ecumenical Centre
150 Rte de Ferney, Geneva
Organizer Colin Archer and IPB Secretariat
This half-day seminar will act as a 'Prepcomm' for the World Congress on military spending and related themes, to be held in Berlin on Sept 30 – Oct 3, 2016.
The main theme of this year's Global Day of Action on Military Spending is the contrast between the high levels of government spending on the military, and the urgent unmet needs of the humanitarian sector. For the former, some $1800 billion is made available; for the latter, the whole international community struggles to reach a mere $20 billion. There is a lack of leadership here: most political leaders do not address the issue, and they fail to initiate the shift in priorities that is needed. Hence the importance of the Global Day, now in its 6th year. Every year since 2011, some 100-150 actions have been organised in communities all over the world in order to build public awareness and challenge decision-makers. This Geneva meeting will act as a forum at which to share ideas for securing additional funding for humanitarian work, and at the same time, for reducing the level of financial and intellectual resources devoted to the military system. We will also take a look at the complex relations between military and civilian players in the field. The ideas put forward will be fed into the World Congress and will be used in drafting the Congress Declaration/Action Plan. We hope that it will also serve to prepare the ground for this issue to be raised at the first-ever global humanitarian summit in Istanbul in late May.
Part 1: Presentations: 14.00 – 15.45
- Welcome; presentation of the Global Campaign on Military Spending and the Berlin Congress; latest military spending data (2015) from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, SIPRI: Colin Archer, Secretary-General, International Peace Bureau.
- Report of the High-Level Panel on Humanitarian Financing. Presentation by Monika Brulhart, Chief, Partnership Section, Division of External Relations, UNHCR.
- Civil-Military cooperation in the humanitarian field: Presentation by Ingrid Nordström-Ho, Head, Policy and Planning Unit, Civil-Military Coordination Section (CMCS), Emergency Services Branch (ESB), United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
- An NGO perspective: Brooke Lauten, Humanitarian Policy and Protection Advisor, Norwegian Refugee Council.
Break 15.45 – 16.00 Tea and coffee available
Part 2: 16.00 – 17.30
- IPB Video: 'Challenging ISIS through non-military means'
Exchange of views on ways to tackle terrorism over the coming years.
- General discussion: Explore short- and long-term strategies; share knowledge; collect proposals for Berlin Congress and Declaration, and for the Istanbul Summit.
Please register by sending a message to IPB at -- 022 731 6429